25.9.12

Day 318 - Bed Socks and Mouse/Mitts

Bed socks aren't necessarily a sign that you're getting on are they? Just wondering, because I've been given six pairs in a relatively short space of time.  Not that I'm complaining. I don't really have a problem slip-sliding down the slope into comfort. And I do get cold feet.

Among my hoard I'm lucky enough to have a few cashmere pairs. They always start off being my favourites, but maddeningly I seem to go through them in a matter of weeks. Is it just me? I know, as the name suggests they're not a heavy duty sock, but come on! A few weeks of night-time pottering and telly watching?

Anyway I've tried mending the massive heel holes - the thing is I'm not very good at it, and usually end up creating an uncomfortable lump. A darn lump would be about right.


So why am I showing you my tatty old cashmere bed socks? Well, inspired by the very lovely Thrift Bee, who cleverly transformed an old cashmere scarf into a gorgeous, hot water bottle cover, I decided to forget darning, and give the socks a new lease of life as a pair of fingerless gloves.

And it was pretty easy. First I cut off the foot part, just where the heel starts - slipped them on, and marked the place I wanted the thumb hole to be.


Then stitched around the raw edges to stop them unravelling and carefully sewed on some ribbon. A little fiddly, but I found a lovely purple/blue two-tone piece.


And in an attempt to use every possible un-holey bit of the sock, I salvaged enough of a toe section to make this softy.

Do you think there might be a market for cashmere cat toys...?


Linking up with Lakota's Ta-dah! Tuesday